11 May 2013

Simply a Beautiful Bird..

My regular.. by Paul Miguel
My regular.., a photo by Paul Miguel on Flickr.

When I set up my most recent feeding station I was quietly hoping to attract Greater Spotted Woodpecker, but after two months, it wasn't looking good. Then suddenly, one day as I arrived to fill up the food, a woodpecker flew away. From that moment I've had a regular female coming to feed on set up branches, and even land on nearby perches naturally. They are wonderful birds to photograph - full of colour... and character too.

This shot is one of my favourites. The branch has been there some time and even though I never add food to it, the bird has a real fondness for this perch. Looking at the wood, I think the woodpecker has given it quite a bashing; and that's the best way to capture the most natural images - coaxing wildlife close in and then letting it do its thing.

At just a few metres from the hide I have to move the camera slowly, but once on the bird, it takes virtually no notice of the shutter. The background here is a willow tree which is springing into leaf, giving beautiful colour that indicates the season.

Shot at IS0 320; 1/640 second; f6.3 with a 300mm lens and 1.4x extender. I also used a tripod with a beanbag on top. This hide is available to hire at my reflection pool site.

No comments:

Post a Comment